Confirmed: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 coming to future Lumia flagship
I just learned from
WindowsCentral.com that Microsoft announced it will use the brand new
Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 in the next Lumia flagship. From the press release they received: "Microsoft and Qualcomm's long standing collaboration has allowed the two companies to offer compelling business, imaging, and entertainment experiences with Lumia smartphones running on Windows Phone," said Juha Kokkonen, general manager for portfolio and product management at Microsoft. "We look forward to continuing this relationship to deliver best in class Lumia smartphones, powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 processors, and offer an unprecedented combination of processing power, rich multimedia, high-performance graphics and wireless connectivity for our customers."
Also from the press release, I quote the new "Consumer Capabilities":
- Fast LTE connectivity: based on a next generation integrated LTE Advanced modem with Cat 9 support for speeds of up to 450 Mbps
- Enhanced image quality and clarity: with high-performance dual 14-bit ISP that supports up to 55 megapixel camera capabilities
- Connecting to LTE: enabled by Qualcomm RF360™ Front End Solution Antenna Tuner which increases coverage, throughput and reduces dropped calls
- Console quality gaming in up to 4K resolution: based on the new Qualcomm® Adreno™ 430 GPU with 30 percent more performance and 20 percent lower power than previous generation
- High-performance 64-bit processing: with quad core ARM A57 CPUs running up to 2.0Ghz and quad-core ARM A53s running up to 1.5Ghz
- Fast available Wi-Fi: supporting the new Qualcomm® VIVE™ dual-band, 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with Qualcomm® MU | EFX (MU-MIMO) technology and the newest 60 GHz 802.11ad Wi-Fi for proximal connections up to 5 Gbps
- Comprehensive 4K support: including 4K video recording with playback on device and to external display, utilizing leading color enhancement and power-saving technologies
- Professional quality audio: with support for the latest Dolby Atmos, and up to 24-bit/192kHz music playback using our Qualcomm® Hexagon™ V56 DSP
- Comprehensive LTE coverage: Broad support of LTE/3G modes and bands that support LTE speeds when roaming and fall back to 3G when LTE is not available
Well.. That's certainly enough to look forward to! I'm especially surprised by the "Enhanced image quality and clarity: with high-performance dual 14-bit ISP that supports up to 55 megapixel camera capabilities" bit. I'd be surprised if Microsoft would ever consider using a huge sensor like that. But I have to admit it all does make me very optimistic about the upcoming Lumia announcements at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in March - or would that be too soon? Anyway it seems like there still is future for PureView and its coming to new flagships after all! :-) In the original post you'll also find the OEM and Operator benefits.